Tuesday, February 13, 2007

A Critical Inquiry on Ways to Allow Open Communication for parents of deaf children

I'd have vlogged this post but I typed my thoughts in the plane back from Deaflympics while I was in this analytic mood. Don't ask me where I got this energy but it may have to do with my underlying passion. Thanks to my sidekick, I was able to keep track on topics on deafread.com using the web browser during my down time. I'd noticed a variety of comments about some discussions taking place about ways on spreading the word to parents of deaf children. I'm pleased to see the concerns among bloggers who share the same goal and to see this discussion popping up during the vlogging/blogging conference. I do strongly support this visualization however we need to think more carefully how do we want to do this. One of the suggestions I saw was to contact American Society of Deaf Children and Hands and Voices organizations to work together also inform about deafread.com where parents can get immediate access to postings. That's a good idea for the time being but let's look at the big picture. As mentioned in my previous vlog, don't we want to thrust forward to make an official blog page center where appropriate postings can be shared that are related to deaf children, identity, educational issues and what not? Deafread.com will always serve as the main artery page and postings can be selected from this URL and published on a blog center page that will target to this specific kind of readers; parents of deaf children, that is. My perspective is that we need experienced deaf educators involved to moderate and post blogs relating to this area. They can be representatives from schools serving deaf children and Gallaudet Clerc Center. As a team, they will provide appropriate resources such as organizing a pool of research and references relating to bilingual and bicultural issues for example. • Imagine that an affiliated organization such as National Deaf Education Project that is comprised of representatives of Gallaudet University, the National Technical Institute for the Deaf, the National Association of the Deaf, the Conference of Educational Administrators of Schools for the Deaf, Convention of the American Instructors of the Deaf and the American Society for Deaf Children take this initiative to assemble a blog center page where parents of deaf children have appropriate access to open communication. • Imagine all of these organizations, residential/mainstreaming schools and bloggers/vloggers are put together to share invaluable input. • Imagine Gallaudet and these organizations provide funding for captioning these vloggers who want to share about their experiences growing up, issues relating to ASL and communication modes, technology devices, etc. I know there are deaf educators out there who would want to take this project including myself. I'm working on discussing this idea with Gallaudet as I have been in the past few weeks. I'll keep you updated about this possibility. I would appreciate to know if you have any information relating to this anticipated project. This is a mission I want to see it happen real soon not just someday. We just need to move forward in a much rapid pace to keep up with the everchanging technology in our society. Funding and resources are the main issue here, which is why Gallaudet, along with other organizations serving deaf children, is considered an appropriate mechanism where the needs of parents with deaf children and deaf students can be met with ease and led on a right track. (this post wasn't cooperative in separating paragraphs so my apologies!)

5 comments:

Chris Heuer said...

Hi Barb:

Excellent ideas, all! I love how all of these ideas are flowing forth with the force of a tidal wave! I love DeafRead! And I think that your ideas for an official page/center are great! Where I personally bump into problems is that I lack the technical vocabulary to communicate the kinds of things I think would be cool and useful (regarding websites, interactive vlogs/blogs) etc. I can see it in my head but beyond a layman's level it's almost impossible for me to talk with people who can actually program and build this stuff...

Still, maybe the first step is ALL of us hooking up and discussing what steps to take next, yes?

Barb DiGi said...

Hi Chris,

I couldn't disagree with you more about the effects of deafread that have led us to this discussion.

I believe that together as a team, we could make anything possible. Remember failure is impossible as quoted by Susan B. Anthony.

Individuals who are interested in pursuing this are strongly encouraged to communicate with each other but the question is how can we all at once? E-mails or setting up a chatroom perhaps? Any other ideas?

Jared Evans said...

We at DeafRead have already thought of this. It's one of the features that is in the works.

Right now, we are focused on moving away from shared hosting to a more powerful server that will be dedicated to DeafRead only.

Once this is over with, Tayler and I will be doing more development work on DeafRead to bring you more exciting features, one of which you mentioned above!

RLM said...

Barbi and the rest of readers,

What do you make out of Jamie Berke's blog posting - "Comic Books Reading for University Students?"

I was really appalled by Jamie Berke's illogical proposal for solving the critical reading and writing skills among deaf students.

Jamie Berke, the blogger, seems underestimate deaf people in general.

We need real action, not the "hot air balloon" talks and talks for improving the quality of deaf education within the pre-school to pre-college deaf youngsters and provide them the solid foundation for better life.

Robert L. Mason (RLM)

Barb DiGi said...

Robert,

Please call me Barb not Barbi :-)

About Jamie, I just interpret her intention to motivate readers on improving English since there are visuals and captions that can give away a better sense of meaning. But I am not sure if this is appropriate for college aged students but again it depends on their interests. Actually, my deaf kids, aged 7 and 9, love reading comics and I believe it helps them develop more English skills.

But of course there are more effective ways to enhance deaf readers through bi-bi program. My children are reading and writing at an appropriate grade level. How? A lot of bridging between ASL and English gives them the opportunity to gain better understanding how both languages work. They are just my living proof.

I believe that by raising awareness through v/blogs will broaden up our perspectives that will lead to action. I am ready to go!