Sunday, April 15, 2007

Surprises, Surprises and Surprises in Deaf History Conference at Gallaudet

Barb DiGi describes what turned out to be full of surprises when attending the Deaf History conference at Gallaudet. It is a preview to see what future topics will be shared about fascinating discoveries in a variety of areas such as educational background of Alice Cogswell, the history of enrollment of women in Gallaudet, Laura Redden Searing's startling friendship with an assassin, the Miller vs. Board of Education playing a role in the influence of the decision of Brown vs. Board of Education, Douglas Craig, an African-American who was a beloved man working for Gallaudet with heart for so many years, the controversy about the statue of Thomas H. Gallaudet and Alice, and many more.

I forgot to add that there were other topics as well. The evolution of Deaf Theater, the deaf double-conscious of John Carlin, the dedicated work of Andrew Foster, the confrontation from the audience to I. King Jordan about labeling the protestors absolutism and to a PBS representative during the Through Deaf Eyes panel discussion about not looking down the Deaf. It will be mentioned in one video clip at a time in the future :-)

Many thanks to you b/vloggers for the inspiration leading me to attend the Deaf History Conference and for the support from RSD making it possible for my trip.

21 comments:

Oscar the Observer said...

Wow! Very impressive!
Looking forward to your stories from history! :-)

JJ said...

Can't wait!!! You better hurry up! ;-P

MN said...

lookin forward to those video clips... next time, please fingerspell clearly...

thanks !!!

Cy said...

Looking forward to your Deaf History Series! Wish I went!

Anonymous said...

Me excited! Look forward to all of 'em.

mochame said...

Forward to see more your deaf history on your vlogging, It will be very interesting that we don't know!

Anonymous said...

Barbie, you are hot! Keep it up!

Susan said...

look forward to your video clips on deaf history, guess the trip was worth it! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb: Naturally I have to say I feel like I am watching your mother AnnaMaria when I watch you sign. All the years ago in Philadelphia return to my mind. I can't wait to see the stories you will tell us all. It reminds me of when I worked in the Public Relations Office at Gallaudet in 1966-69 there was no information on where sign language "came from" and visitors always asked about that. So I sat down, did research and came up with a little brochure about it which subsequently was used by Terry O'Rourke at the NAD when the first national sign language teaching grant was awarded during that same time frame. Thank you for your very interesting work! Keep going and tell you mom I said Hi! --Betty Broecker

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb: Naturally I have to say I feel like I am watching your mother AnnaMaria when I watch you sign. All the years ago in Philadelphia return to my mind. I can't wait to see the stories you will tell us all. It reminds me of when I worked in the Public Relations Office at Gallaudet in 1966-69 there was no information on where sign language "came from" and visitors always asked about that. So I sat down, did research and came up with a little brochure about it which subsequently was used by Terry O'Rourke at the NAD when the first national sign language teaching grant was awarded during that same time frame. Thank you for your very interesting work! Keep going and tell you mom I said Hi! --Betty Broecker

Karen Mayes said...

Cool, keep it coming... I am one of your eager "cyberstudents" for your Deaf History series :-)

Moonshadow said...

Hi, Barb
wow I watched your introductory vlog about Deaf history Conference. i wanted to go so bad but scheduling conflicts prevented me. now that you will explain some, i would appreciate it. I agree with you, i am thinking what a coincidence about lights out during Ben Bahan. Were you able to see the rest of his presentation?
Looking foward to more of your vlogs,
Noni

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to see your vlogs about the deaf stories.

We have learned about the american history at school. Wish the school could provide us the deaf history class.

White Ghost

Anonymous said...

Hello Barbara Gigil.

I think that is wonderful to know about the Deaf history, part of a new... show us a pitures of the who is a famous Deaf person's face or use a art. That would be a nice to know and a good remember. Please do... Thanks so much, BG.
Impressive to me.

D.

RLM said...

BarbGigi,

How many people attended the 150 Years Anniversary of Kendall Green Conference last week?

RLM

Mule435 said...

I think DEAF History may be hiding a lot of information or had been untold everyone but it is not boring but pride to hear more DEAF History!

Keep to going on to get more exicit news

Dennis said...

BarbGigi,

You are HOTTER and Great Storyteller on Deaf History, Come on and Come on more knowledge we, deaf people need from you! Go, Go, Go, Barb!!!

Bug said...

Can't wait for your next presentation. Thank you for sharing.

Jared Evans said...

This will be very interesting to watch! Can't wait for your future vlogs about our Deaf History!

Anonymous said...

I just found so many videos of your work. It's going to take me awhile to catch up on what you have to say, but I am especially excited about the NALB commentary.Thank you for sharing everything.R.Tock.

Steve said...

In two words: YOU ROCK!
Enjoyed untold deaf history as you spelled out.