Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Looking for Ways to Heal

Quicktime

Summary:

When my mother and I got invited to celebrate "femtorship" which means the power of receiving, as well as providing, mentorship with Deaf women at the Deaf Hope Tea Party, I was excited and honored to return once again but this time with my mother. When I found out that Ben Vess was also invited as a MC, I wasn't too crazy about the idea. I had never met him and only knew him through the Deaf blogosphere but it wasn't a positive experience to get to know him virtually. However, with Ben's permission to tell you this, he made an attempt to contact me last summer to warn me about the letter-writing group who went too far to go beyond the blogosphere so it gave me a benefit of doubt about him. By the way, nothing happened but the point was that was when I knew he was sincere and candid.

It is clear to me that he has a wonderful talent in writing and that he does have many potentials to contribute to the Deaf community. This is a part of the reason why I have decided to give it a chance to meet Ben. After getting to know him in person and spending hours and hours talking it out, it lead to a positive outcome that we are sparked to work together on spreading awareness about ASL for Deaf babies.

I had never dreamed that Ridor, Ben and I would end up in the bathroom at someone's home as shown in the end of the clip!

We will work together to make this a better community!